What do people hear when we say “Change Management”?
That’s how our conversation on website redesigns and change management began. From there our panel covered the role that fear plays during large redesign projects, key change management principles, and how to practically mitigate and manage change to make redesign projects a success. We even talked about some tools!
Our webinar panel included Graziella Jackson (Echo&Co CEO), Daniel Constable (UNICEF Canada Director of Business Solutions) and Joel Bush (Capellic Partner). Capellic’s Evan Blackford moderated.
Website Redesign Change Management Key Take-Aways
We covered a lot of ground on the call, but luckily we’ve distilled the top take-aways from each of our panelists:
Graziella Jackson’s (Echo&Co) Change Management Take-Aways
- Create a vision and direction – Put structure around it.
- Clearly define people’s roles and contributions.
- Separate ideas from actionable requirements.
- Start small and develop a proof of concept, if possible (e.g., develop an authoring experience, etc.). Try them out and only mature the ones that show clear success.
- Design is not change. Design is design and simply reflects the desired change.
Daniel Constable’s (UNICEF Canada) Change Management Take-Aways
- Understand the change you are managing.
- What is driving the change.
- Make sure your change agents are the right people.
- Identify the “winners” and “losers” from the change.
- Ensure all stakeholders are in the change.
- Understand whose job role is changing.
Joel Bush’s (Capellic) Change Management Take-Aways
- Know when to involve the right stakeholders – not everyone needs to be involved at all times. Some are critical during strategy and ideation; others are critical to understanding requirements, etc.
- Iterate change – you don’t have to do everything at once.
- Use your roadmap to plot a course and manage expectations related to changes.
- Involve your developers and creatives early – they see change and requirements differently.
- Save budget and grumpiness by not over-architecting technical solutions to enforce administrative and process changes if he can be done more elegantly with internal governance.
If you missed the webinar or need to watch it again, we’ve got you covered! We have the whole thing right here (Approx. 1 hour).
If you liked this webinar, guess what?! We’re doing more. Our next two webinars include a deep dive into new tools for integrating Drupal Commerce with Blackbaud Merchant Services (What?!!) and a discussion about how to get up and running using data to inform decision making for your website. We’ll be adding more free webinars soon, which you can check out at any time here.
Thanks to everyone who joined us! We had fun and hope you did too.